Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Week 18 - 19 (June 9 - June 23)

Since I didn't get the chance to update my week 18 status I decided to combine week 18 and 19. Last week Daylen was approximately 5 1/2 inches long and weighed almost 7 ounces. He flexed his arms and legs. His ears formed to their final position and he developed a protective coating called the myelin around his nerves which will stay with him for a year after he is born. This week Daylen weighs about 8 1/2 ounces. He is the size of a large heirloom tomato. He is beginning to sprout hair and is developing his senses such as smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. According to most studies he could probably begin to hear me. Studies encourage moms to begin reading, singing and talking to the baby so it can familiarize itself with its mom's voice. So for those of you who are determined for Daylen to know your voice, now is the time to start talking to him. His arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of his body. His kidneys are making urine which explains the frequent trips to the bathroom. He developed his waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa that will prevent him from "pickling" in the amniotic fluid. The next couple of weeks Daylen should begin growing like a weed. Although I still haven't felt his movement I can push on my stomach and feel hard places that could possibly be his head or feet.

I have started having stabbing pains in my lower abdomen which is referred to as round ligament pains. It is the stretching of my uterus to accomodate for the increasing weight Daylen is putting on it. This week I have developed an ugly cold. By being pregnant I am limited to what I can take to treat it. I started my summer Master's class this week and this cold could not come at a worst time. I am in class all day from 8 - 4 when I am constantly coughing, sniffling, and sneezing. I wish either my cold would go away soon or class would be over quickly so I can lay down at home and go to sleep. The class wears me out so much that by the time I get home I crash. However, I can't complain too much. Since I didn't have morning sickness or nausia I can be thankful that I am only suffering with a cold. I know others wished they only had a cold.

0 comments: